Spinach, Feta and filo pie
- 250g (8oz) filo pastry
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) pack frozen spinach
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) Feta cheese, diced
- 30g (1oz) pine nuts
- 20cm (8in) flan ring
- Baking sheet lined with baking parchment
You can use 60g (2oz) melted butter for layering up the filo sheets, instead of olive oil, if you prefer.
- Set the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Arrange a sheet of filo pastry in the flan ring on the lined baking sheet. Brush with oil and repeat with 4 more sheets of filo, to cover the base and sides of the ring, trimming off any excess. Bake for 10 mins until pale golden.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry gently for 3 mins, and then add the garlic.
- Put the frozen spinach in a bowl and microwave on High for 5 mins. Drain through a sieve, pressing out excess liquid, and then return it to the bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the spinach and mix in the ricotta cheese, beaten egg, nutmeg, seasoning and Feta cheese. Spoon the mixture into the baked filo pastry case.
- Brush oil on the remaining 4 sheets of filo and crumple them on top of the spinach filling, pressing edges into the sides. Scatter pine nuts over the top. Bake for 30-40 mins, until the pastry is golden. Cover the top loosely with foil if it’s browning too much.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 250(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.