Sausage and tomato casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
Treat the family to this easy-to-make, hearty casserole made from low-fat sausages, shallots and peas - perfect any night of the week.
- 1 jar 750g Bolognese sauce
- 12 shallots, peeled and halved
- 450g low fat sausages
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2½tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- 175g frozen peas
- 1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3tbsp dry red wine
- Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Creamy mashed potato or crusty bread
There are over 10,000 different varieties of tomato in existence and they come in an assortment of colours other than red. Yellow, pink, purple, black and even white tomatoes all exist too
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Put the shallots and sausages into an 18cm round oven-proof dish. Cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, pour the Bolognese sauce into a pan along with the oregano, peas, Worcestershire Sauce and red wine.
- Cook for 10 minutes until slightly reduced before adding the peas. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until peas are cooked. Season to taste.
- Serve the sausage casserole with creamy mashed potato or crusty bread and garnish with freshly chopped flat leaf parsley.