Peppermint cream biscuits
- 50g (1¾oz) plain chocolate
- A little icing sugar, for dusting
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 30g (1oz) ground rice
- Pinch of salt
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- ½ med beaten egg
- A little milk
- 45g (1½oz) butter, softened
- 45g (1½oz) icing sugar
- A few drops of green food colouring
- A few drops of peppermint essence
- 4.5-5cm (1¾-2in) fluted pastry cutter
- Paper piping bag
- Baking sheet lined with Bakewell paper or Teflon sheet
Use a little rosewater or chocolate for another flavoured cream filling
- To make the biscuits: Sift the flour, ground rice and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and mix in the sugar. Add beaten egg and milk to bind the mixture (use all the egg rather than adding milk, if you like). Knead lightly.
- Set the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Roll out the dough, on a lightly floured surface, to about 0.5cm (1/8in) thick, then cut out shapes with cutter. Re-roll and cut out more biscuits to make 40. Put them on baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the cream filling: Beat the butter and sifted icing sugar to a soft cream. Add a little green food colouring and peppermint essence (one drop at a time), and then sandwich the biscuits with the cream.
- Melt chocolate in microwave on Medium and spoon into a piping bag to drizzle chocolate over the biscuits. Dust with icing sugar for serving.
- The biscuits will keep for a week in an airtight tin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 96(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.