Sausage and potato roll
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 125g (4oz) butter or hard margarine
- 60g (2oz) fine oatmeal or medium oatmeal, crushed
- A little milk
For the filling:
- 175g (6oz) cooked, cooled potato
- 250g (8oz) good-quality sausages (we used Cumberland), skinned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ground mace or nutmeg
- Lightly greased baking sheet
This dish is perfect for picnics and outside eating
- To make the filling: Mash the cold potato well and mix in the sausagemeat. Season with salt, pepper and mace or nutmeg. Shape into a roll about 6cm (2½in) in diameter.
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the fat. Add the oatmeal, rub it all together, then mix in enough water to make a flexible pastry.
- Set the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to an oblong big enough to wrap around the filling. Turn it over and put the roll of filling on top, leaving a good margin at the sides. Dampen the pastry edge and roll it up "as you would a roly-poly pudding". Seal the ends like a parcel.
- Put on the baking sheet. If you have pastry trimmings, cut out a few leaf shapes and arrange them on top. Brush with milk. Bake for 30-40 mins, until the pastry is golden. Serve in slices, hot or cold, with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 418(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.