Sweet potato and chilli-marinated tofu parcels
Skill level: Bit of effort
These flavoursome bite-size parcels are perfect for a quick snack or more substantial meal served with green vegetables. They can be made in advance, frozen and heated when required or are great served cold
- 1 pack of firm tofu pieces
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 6 spring onions finely sliced
- ½tsp paprika
- 1tsp onion seeds
- ½ to 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pack - 270g filo pastry
- Melted butter
- Onion seeds to garnish
- Mixed salad leaves to garnish
These are great to serve as finger food at a party alongside some sweet chilli dip!
- Pre-heat an oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas mark 6.
- In a roasting tin coat the sweet potato with the oil. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, stir in the tofu pieces and continue to cook until the potato is tender but not soft.
- Mash the potato gently so that the dice retains some shape and texture then stir through the garlic, spring onions, paprika, onion seeds and the chilli flakes. Season to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Take one sheet of filo pastry and brush with a little melted butter fold in half, then cut this in half again so that each sheet will make 2 parcels. (When working with filo pastry keep it under a damp tea towel so that it doesn’t dry out.)
- Place a good spoonful of the mixture into the middle of one square, fold in one corner brush with a little butter, continue until all 4 corners are folded, place on a baking tray folds down. Brush the top with a melted butter and sprinkle with a few onion seeds.
- Continue until all the mixture is used. Bake in the oven for 14-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crisp, allow to cool slightly. Best served warm.