Seven-hour leg of lamb
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
Once you've made this seven-hour leg of lamb recipe, you'll never make lamb a different way again. This slow-cooked lamb may take a while in the oven but it's worth the wait. In total, this recipe will take around 7hrs and 30 mins to make - 30 mins prep time, getting the meat ready to cook and preparing the vegetables and stock and the 7 hours of slow cooking. It's a great Sunday dinner option and can be popped in the oven on Sunday morning ready for serving at your usual time in the evening. This recipe serves 10 people. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days; reheat thoroughly until piping hot all the way through before serving again. You can even add the tender cuts of lamb into your favourite sandwich and make a very hearty lunch. Serve the succulent and juicy leg of lamb with roast potatoes and a selection of veg.
- 1 leg of lamb, bone in, weighing around 2.4kg
- 3 large onions, cut into small dice
- 5 sticks celery, washed and cut into small dice
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 whole garlic bulb, smashed and skinned
- 5 bay leaves a small bunch sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 500ml water
- 1tbsp runny honey
- Plenty of salt and pepper
It’s really important to have a lid that fits your casserole dish well in order to keep in the heat and the moisture. If you don’t have one with a big enough lid, use a roasting tray and a double layer of tinfoil, securing it with string.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/210°F.
- Using a very large casserole dish, brown the leg of lamb on all sides over medium heat. Concentrate the browning especially on any pockets of fat. The aim is to seal the meat while rendering off as much fat as possible.
- When the meat is well coloured all over, remove it from the casserole and pour away all the fat, but do not wipe the pan.
- Next add the onion, celery and carrot and turn them over in whatever meat-browning bits are at the bottom of the pan to mop them up. Turn down the heat and sweat for 15 minutes, making sure not to colour.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, sage, wine, water, honey and browned leg of lamb to the casserole. Put the lid on and cook in the middle of the oven for 7 hours. Turn the leg over halfway through cooking. When the lamb is done, remove it from the oven and season well and serve.