Courgette and bacon risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 60g (2oz) bacon bits
- 125g (4oz) risotto rice
- 450ml (¾ pint) hot vegetable stock
- 1 large courgette, grated
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Although risotto rice is more expensive than long-grain, it's well worth the money and gives a great texture to the finished dish
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins to soften. Add the garlic and bacon bits and cook for another 5 mins, until they start to brown.
- Tip in the rice and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins. Pour in 150ml (¼ pint) of the stock, stir and simmer for 5 mins. Then add another 150ml (¼ pint) of stock, stir from time to time until the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in remaining stock, add the grated courgette, then cook for another few minutes, until the rice is tender and creamy. Remove the pan from heat, add the butter and cheese, and season generously before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 500(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 10.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.