Roasted potatoes with tomato, oregano and basil
Skill level: Easy peasy
This tasty side dish, by Two Greedy Italian stars Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo, is a wonderful accompaniment to meat or fish dishes
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a large handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
- 300g red onions, sliced
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved and deseeded
- 1 tbsp white wine
Antonio and Gennaro say: 'If you increase the quantities, this makes a lovely main course in itself when served with a salad.'
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the olive oil into an ovenproof dish or roasting tin. Arrange a layer of the potatoes, sprinkle over a little of the oregano, season with salt and pepper and scatter over some basil leaves. Follow with a layer of onions and tomatoes and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Continue with another layer of potatoes and repeat the process until all the vegetables have been added to the dish. Pour over the remaining olive oil and white wine.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and loosen the potatoes from the bottom of the dish with a fork, taking care not to break them. Continue to bake for a further 15–20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Serve immediately.