Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic gooseberry fool recipe is easy to make and serves between 6-8 people. This delicious dessert can be made in only 25 mins which means its perfect as a last minute option for when you have friends and family over. First featured in Woman's weekly in 1919, this old-fashioned dessert is easy to make and still tastes really good today, with fresh or frozen gooseberries. A portion of this gooseberry dessert works out at only 172 calories per serving, great if you're counting the calories but don't want to miss out on dessert. It really doesn't take much to make this summer favourite!
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra
- 900g (2lb) fresh or frozen gooseberries, plus a few small gooseberries to decorate
- A little crème fraîche, to decorate
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- About 2 tbsp caster sugar
- A few drops of almond essence
If you are are short of time, use a carton or can of ready made custard mixed with the pureed fruit
- Put 125g (4oz) sugar in a large pan with 125ml (4fl oz) water. Heat gently to dissolve sugar, then bring it to the boil to make a syrup. Add gooseberries and cook until tender, about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the custard: In a small bowl, blend cornflour to a paste with a little milk. Bring rest of milk to the boil in a pan, stir some of the hot milk into the paste, then pour paste into the pan and cook for 3 mins, stirring.
- Cool for 2 mins, then add beaten egg and sugar, to taste. Stir over a low heat until custard thickens. Add almond essence.
- Sieve the cooked gooseberries to make a purée. Mix into the custard.
- Spoon the fool into glasses; chill. Decorate with crème fraîche and small gooseberries.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 172(kcal)
- Fat 4.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.