Ricotta bruschetta with beans and crispy parma ham
- 20 mint leaves
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) frozen soya beans
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 slices Parma ham
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 8 slices ciabatta
Use fresh or frozen broad beans, or any other beans for this, if you prefer.
- Chop the mint leaves and put them in a small bowl with the oil. Set aside to infuse for 10-20 mins.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a little salt, then the soya beans. Bring back to the boil and cook them for 2 mins. Drain the beans and refresh them under cold water. Drain, then put in a bowl.
- Mix the ricotta in a bowl with the lemon zest (save some for garnish, if you like) plus a good squeeze of the juice and a teaspoonful of the minty oil and seasoning.
- Heat a frying pan, tear slices of Parma ham into it and cook gently for a couple of minutes until it crisps. Take out — it will crisp further on cooling. Toast Italian bread in the pan or on a griddle or under a grill. Rub toast with the garlic halves to add flavour, and drizzle with mint oil.
- Spoon the ricotta on to the toast. Arrange bruschetta on a platter. Add about 1 tbsp of the mint oil and seasoning to the beans, then spoon them over. Garnish with crispy Parma ham and scatter with lemon zest and mint leaves. Spoon over more mint dressing and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 471(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.