Peppers of Provence
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes
- 2 large or 3 small red Romano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 50g or 60g can anchovies, drained (keep the oil)
- 6 basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 125g pack buffalo mozzarella
- 6-8 black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
If you can’t find Romano peppers, use small bell peppers instead.
- Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Put tomatoes in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and leave for 30 secs. Take out and cool under cold water, then peel skins off. Quarter, remove the seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
- Halve peppers lengthways, take out the core and seeds. Put peppers in a roasting tin and fill with the tomato, garlic, anchovy fillets and torn basil leaves.
- Add red onion wedges to the tin. Drizzle onion and peppers with the anchovy oil (2-3 tbs) and grind pepper over. Roast for 40-50 mins, depending on size.
- Rip mozzarella into chunks on to 2 platters, put peppers on top, sprinkle with the roasted onion and olives. Spoon any cooking juices over and drizzle with oil. Garnish with basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 460(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.