Rare roast beef salad
- 500g (1lb) baby new potatoes
- 200g (7oz) sugar-snap peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 fillet steaks (about 250g/8oz)
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced, optional
- 1-2 Little Gem lettuces
- 2 cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
- 4 tbs crème fraîche
- 1 tsp hot horseradish
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
Sirloin or rump steak would be fine to use instead of fillet, but make sure the steaks are well-trimmed.
- Cook the new potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for about 15 mins, until tender. Take out with a draining spoon and put into a bowl.
- Bring the water back to the boil, add the sugar-snap peas and cook for 2 mins, then drain and refresh under cold water. Cut the warm potatoes in half, season well and dress with a tablespoon of the oil.
- Drizzle a little of the oil over the steaks and season them well. Heat a frying pan, add the steaks and cook for 2 minutes each side. Take out of the pan, wrap in foil and set aside for about 10 mins.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, together with the onion and garlic, if using, and cook for 10 mins, until light golden.
- To make the dressing: Mix all of the dressing ingredients together.
- Add the sugar-snap peas and lettuce leaves to the potatoes. Put on a platter, and add the beetroot wedges. Slice the beef thinly and arrange on the salad with the fried onions.
- Drizzle the salad with the beef cooking juices, and with a little more oil, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 315(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.