Eton mess cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Eton mess cupcakes combine two different desserts in one - crunch meringue, strawberries and spongey cupcakes make the ultimate pud. Finish light and fluffy cupcakes with an Eton mess topping for an ingenious summer treat you won't want to stop eating. Ready in only 45 minutes, you only need to do 20 minutes worth of prep time for 12 cupcakes that not only taste absolutely delicious, but look super cute too. Eton mess is just as the name suggests, a bit of a mess, with broken shards of meringue, which means your cupcakes won't be perfectly finished, they'll be rough and ready, and taste delicious!
IngredientsFor the cupcakes:
- 110g self raising flour
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g butter or margarine
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 120g unsalted butter (softened)
- 200g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla
- Crushed meringue pieces
- Strawberry sauce
We love cupcakes at goodtoknow and have now got 142 delicious cupcake recipes for you to try
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cake cases.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix on a slow speed until no lumps of fat remain. Turn to a high speed and beat well until the batter is light and fluffy (approx 1 minute). You can use a handheld mixer or a freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Put equal amounts of batter into the cake cases and bake in the preheated oven until golden and springy to the touch. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack prior to decorating.
- For the icing, mix the butter, icing sugar and vanilla together on a slow speed in a freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer with the beater attachments. When incorporated beat at a high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add a dollop of icing to the top of each cupcake then cover with crushed meringue pieces. Then add some strawberry sauce and a few fresh strawberry pieces to finish it off.