Steak and beetroot salad
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseed)
- Pinch of chilli powder or dried chilli flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 250g (8oz) sirloin steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 baby beetroot
- 1 ripe avocado
- Large handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Vinaigrette dressing
- French bread, to serve
Leaving the steak to rest after cooking makes it nice and juicy
- Heat a frying pan, add the seeds, with some chilli, if you like, and cook for about 1 min, until they start to toast and pop. Tip them into a bowl or on to kitchen paper.
- Heat the pan again (or a griddle) over a high heat. Rub 1 tsp oil over the steak, season well and sear for 2-4 mins on each side, or to your liking (but we think this tastes better if the steak is medium-rare). Take off and leave on a chopping board, loosely covered, to rest for 5-10 mins.
- Cut the beetroot into quarters and mix with the rest of the oil in a salad bowl. Halve, stone, peel and slice the avocado and add to the beetroot, along with the parsley leaves.
- Thinly slice the steak and serve separately with the salad or tuck pieces of steak into the salad. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve with French bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 293(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 4.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.