Jammy coconut squares
- 250g (8oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp milk
- 250g (8oz) butter, at room temperature
- 250g (8oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g (8oz) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) tin, greased and lined
- Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Put the potatoes into a heatproof bowl with 175ml (6fl oz) water and microwave on High for 10 mins, until tender. (Alternatively, boil the potatoes in a pan.)
- Drain the potatoes, add the milk and mash them until smooth.
- Cream the butter and the sugar, until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and mashed potato. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45 mins, until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean.
- Spread the jam over the top of the the warm sponge and sprinkle with coconut. Cool, then cut into 18 squares. Serve with custard, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 257(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.