Cucumber and prawn stir-fry
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp oil (groundnut or sunflower)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated root ginger
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- About 400g (14oz) mixed fish and prawns (we used 320g pack fish pie mix and 90g/3oz raw prawns)
- 2 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tbs Chinese wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbs sweet chilli sauce (we like Blue Dragon)
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 250g (8oz) rice noodles, rehydrated according to pack directions
- Coriander, to garnish, optional
Instead of prawns, you can make this with diced chicken.
- Peel the cucumber, halve it lengthways and take out the seeds, using a teaspoon. Cut the cucumber halves into 1cm (½in) slices, sprinkle them with the salt. Put them into a colander and leave to drain for 20 mins (to remove excess moisture).
- Rinse the cucumber slices in running water quickly and blot them dry in a tea towel or with kitchen paper.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Add 2 tsp of the oil and, when hot, add the cucumber and stir-fry for a few mins until beginning to brown. Tip into a serving dish and keep it warm.
- Add the rest of the oil with the garlic, ginger and spring onions, stir-fry for 30 secs, then add the fish and prawns and stir-fry for a min. Add the soy sauce, wine, chilli sauce and sesame oil and cook for a min, stirring carefully to avoid breaking up the fish. Add to the cooked cucumber.
- Serve with the noodles and garnish with coriander, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 462(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.