Strawberry and raspberry cloud cake
Prep time:Plus 4 hours to freeze
Skill level: Easy peasy
Delight your friends and family with this beautiful no-bake strawberry cake topped with fresh raspberries. It's the perfect cake for summertime birthdays or special occasions and it only takes 20 minutes to prepare.
- 150g plain sweet biscuits
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1½tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 250g (1 punnet) ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries
The cake will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month
- Line the base of a 26-28cm spring form cake tin with baking paper or waxed paper. This makes it easy to lift the cake out later.
- Make the base by putting the biscuits in a brown paper bag and crushing them into crumbs by beating carefully with a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs into a medium bowl and add the coconut, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Press firmly into the base of the prepared tin. It doesn’t need to be a thick layer – just enough to cover the bottom of the tin. Refrigerate the base while you prepare the filling.
- Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on high speed for about 6-8 minutes until the mixture is very thick and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved. To test whether it is ready, rub a bit of the mixture between your fingers. You should not feel any gritty sugar - if you do, beat a little longer.
- Spoon the filling over the chilled base, smooth the top, cover with a sheet of baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, cut cake into wedges using a knife that has been warmed in hot water. Garnish with fresh raspberries on top.