Annabel Langbein's ultimate chocolate cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
TV chef Annabel Langbein's recipe for a simple chocolate cake is just delicious. Top with fresh raspberries for a summery touch or your favourite seasonal berries
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling hot coffee
Chocolate ganache, to ice:
- 500 ml cream
- 500 g best quality dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- fresh raspberries
Annabel says: 'The same recipe even makes wonderful little chocolate cupcakes.' Make the batter the same way and pour into cupcake cases. Top with icing of your choice, Annabel suggest a cream cheese frosting.
- Heat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease the sides and line the base of a 30cm round cake tin or 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
- Place all ingredients except Chocolate Ganache and raspberries in a bowl or food processor and mix or blitz until the ingredients are combined and the butter is fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin or tins and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the cake tin.*
- Pour the cream into a medium saucepan and heat until it is very hot, and almost but not boiling. You'll know it's ready when bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stand for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is fully melted into the cream.
- Whisk this chocolate ganache until it is smooth and glossy, then chill.
- Slather the chilled chocolate ganache over the top of the cake. Top with fresh raspberries and serve.
Like this? You’ll love Mary Berry’s chocolate cake recipe