Strawberries and cream cake
- 200g (7oz) butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- Zest from ½ an orange
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar, for dredging
- 150g (5oz) mascarpone cheese
- 150ml (¼ pint) double or single cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Zest and juice from ½ an orange
- 2 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 400g (14oz) smallish strawberries
- 100g (3½oz) strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
You can add 1tsp rose water to the sauce. For a less rich filling, use 150ml (1/4 pint) each whipped double cream and Greek yogurt.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk in the orange zest, then whisk in one egg at a time with 1 tbsp flour each time.
- Add the rest of the flour and the baking powder and 2 tbsp warm water. Mix until smooth. Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the tops and bake for 25-30 mins until springy to the touch. Cool for 10 mins, then take out of the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling: Beat the mascarpone with the cream, icing sugar, and orange zest and juice. Spread over the base of one cake and spread the jam over the base of the other cake. Slice the strawberries and arrange two-thirds of them on the creamy cheese filling. Put the other cake on top and press down lightly. Chill.
- To make the sauce: Put the berries in a tall jug with the icing sugar and orange juice and whizz to make a sauce to serve with the cake.
- To serve: Arrange the rest of the sliced strawberries on top of the cake and dredge with icing sugar. Spoon some sauce over, or, if you prefer, serve separately with the cake.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 499(kcal)
- Fat 34.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.