Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These chocolate dipped cupcakes are so decadent and rich and one of our favourite chocolate cakes at Goodtoknow! Not only do they have a chocolate sponge, but the tops are covered in a sweet and creamy vanilla buttercream and then dipped into melted chocolate and then left to set for a solid crunchy milk chocolate flavour on your moist sponge. These really are a chocoholic's dream! We won't tell if you don't share them with your family...
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200ml boiling hot water
- 125g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 120g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp milk
- 200g milk chocolate, for dipping
You can dip your cupcakes in any type of chocolate - we think white chocolate would be delicious!
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Stir the hot water with the cocoa until smooth and leave to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour in one go. Then the cooled cocoa powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 18 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream cream the butter, gradually add the sugar until smooth and creamy. Mix in the vanilla and milk.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes using a piping bag with the piping nozzle of your choice attached. Leave to set for about 20 minutes.
- Then melt the milk chocolate in a deep bowl either in the microwave or placed over a pan of water, and carefully dip the top of each cupcake into it.