Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy strawberry cupcakes recipe is a GoodtoKnow favourite. A light strawberry sponge is a great way to transform your cupcakes. Top with a simple vanilla frosting for a classic summertime treat. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and will take around 45 mins to make and bake. These delicious strawberry cupcakes are not only topped with fresh strawberries but have them in the sponge too making them extra sweet and delicious. Top with buttercream or freshly whipped cream for a simple dessert. These strawberry cupcakes are best eaten and served on the day they're made but if you have any leftover we'd recommend storing in an airtight container somewhere cool.
- 120g sugar
- 55g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 180ml natural yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 60g butter, softened
- 60g mascarpone cheese, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries to garnish
If you're not a fan of cream, top your cupcakes with strawberry jam instead!
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg, yogurt and vanilla, blending until smooth.
Add the flour, then fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, cream together the butter and mascarpone cheese until creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar and cream until smooth, finally add the vanilla.
- Frost the cupcakes with a palette knife or piping bag with the nozzle of your choice attached. Garnish with fresh strawberries.