Country garden flan
- 1 round sheet shortcrust pastry, thawed (taken from a 450g pack of 2 sheets — we used Jus-Rol)
- 100g (3½oz) green beans, trimmed and chopped into short lengths
- 100g (3½oz) fresh or frozen peas
- 130g pack goat’s cheese, with rind
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 4 medium eggs
- 150-170ml pot single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20cm (8in) loose-based cake tin
- Bakewell paper and baking beans
To take on a picnic, pop the flan in a washed cake tin and wrap in foil
- Unroll the pastry sheet. Roll it just a little thinner, to make it more flexible, and use it to line the tin, leaving a good 1cm (½in) of the pastry above the top of the tin. Prick the base and sides with a fork. Chill for 20-30 mins.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Line the pastry case with Bakewell paper and baking beans. Put on to the hot baking sheet, place near the bottom of the oven and bake for 10 mins. Take out the paper and beans and cook for another 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Add the chopped beans and fresh peas to a pan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil and cook for 2 mins. Drain and cool under cold running water or in a bowl of iced water until cold. Drain and pat dry in a tea towel, or use kitchen paper.
- Put the vegetables in the pastry case. Cut the cheese into short strips (leaving the rind on) and put these on top of the veg. Sprinkle with the spring onions.
- Whisk the eggs, then whisk in the cream and seasoning. Pour into the case and put back in the oven to bake for 45-50 mins until just set. Leave for 5 mins, and then take out of the tin. Serve warm or cold, with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 274(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.