Jammy sandwich biscuits
Prep time:Chill dough 30 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 250g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- 6 tbsp strawberry (or raspberry) jam
- 6cm fluted cutter and a 1.5cm (just over ½in) plain cutter, or a plain icing nozzle
- 2 baking sheets lined with Teflon or Bakewell paper
These biscuits are handy to have in the freezer to take out for packed lunches or unexpected guests
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. Add the flour and mix in well - using your hands is best. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface, then divide into 2 pieces and form each into a roll. Wrap in cling filmand chill for 20-30 mins.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to just a bit less than 5mm (¼in) thick, one at a time, and cut out large rounds. Cut out smaller rounds (using the cutter or end of the icing nozzle) from half of them. Knead the centres and all trimmings together and re-roll to make more biscuits - about 60 in total. Use the small cutter or nozzle to make markings on the rounds with the holes in, to decorate them, if you like.
- Put on the baking sheets in batches and bake for 10-12 mins until pale golden.Take off the tray and cool on a wire rack.
- Sandwich the biscuits together with the jam. They’ll keep for up to a week in an airtight tin.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 126(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.