Poached berries with rose swirls
- 2 large egg whites
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon rose water
- Pink liquid food colouring
- 150ml (5fl oz) dessert wine (we used Brown Brothers Orange Muscat)
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) blueberries
- 250g (8oz) strawberries, hulled and halved if large
- 150ml (¼ pint) double cream, whipped
- Piping bag, fitted with a large star nozzle
- Baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
The unfilled meringues will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark ½ or 120°C. Put the egg whites into a heatproof bowl with the sugar and cream of tartar. Rest the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk constantly, with an electric mixer, until the sugar has dissolved and the whites are warm to the touch. This will take about 4 mins.
- Add the rose water and a few drops of the food colouring and continue whisking for another 5 mins, until the meringue becomes glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Spoon the mixture into the piping bag and pipe 12 swirls on to the baking sheet. Bake for 50 mins to 1 hour, until firm.
- To poach the berries: Pour the wine into a small pan. Add the sugar and blueberries. Heat gently for a few mins, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat, add the strawberries and leave to cool.
- Sandwich the meringues together with a spoonful of whipped cream and serve with the poached fruits.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 270(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.