Slimming World’s vegetable carbonara
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slimming World's vegetable carbonara recipe is the perfect choice for a quick mid-week meal the whole family will love and it's ready in just 15 minutes. The bonus to this carbonara is that it's a healthier choice, and makes sticking to a diet super easy. It puts a modern twist on the Italian classic, spaghetti carbonara, which means that you don't have to feel like you're missing out on anything whilst dieting and your family will never know the difference. This recipe is infused with garlic, chilli and bejeweled with heaps of vegetables including mushrooms, peas and tomatoes. It's a favourite with our Slimming World users. Ideal as a hearty lunch or filling dinner, this recipe is perfect all year round. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. This recipe serves 4 people.
- 312g dried rigatoni pasta
- 142g Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 170g smoked back bacon, trimmed of all visible fat and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g closed cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 198g frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100g quark
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 170g sweet and crunchy salad, to serve
Don’t be afraid of using the green chilli in this recipe, it’s very mild and brings out the flavour of all the ingredients with no added heat. Even the kids won’t notice it’s there.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add 312g dried rigatoni pasta and boil for 9 minutes. Add 142g Savoy cabbage, finely shredded, for the final 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook 170g smoked back bacon, trimmed of all visible fat and chopped, in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes. Add 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped, 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped and 100g closed cup mushrooms, thinly sliced and cook for 3 minutes. Add 198g frozen peas, defrosted, and 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and chopped and cook for a minute to heat through.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 large egg yolks and 100g quark together with some seasoning.
- Ladle some of the pasta cooking water into a cup, reserve and drain the remaining pasta. Place the pasta back in the saucepan. Add the bacon and vegetable mixture and stir through. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg and quark mixture, adding 2-3 tbsp of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce a little.
- Serve immediately with 170g sweet and crunchy salad.
For more delicious recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website