Bacon tagliatelle carbonara
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Carbonara is one of the easiest pasta dishes to make and tastes great with bacon and lots of Parmesan cheese - make this delicious recipe in just 15 minutes for a warming meal everyone will enjoy.
- 75g butter
- 175g dry cured unsmoked bacon, cut into strips plus streaky rashers to garnish
- 400g tagliatelle
- 8 egg yolks
- 6 double cream
- 50g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Chopped fresh parsley
Try dry cured bacon with maple or honey for a smokey, syrupy flavour
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil for the pasta. Melt 75g butter in a large, deep frying pan, and 175g dry cured unsmoked bacon, cut into strips, and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes, until golden brown.
- Add 400g tagliatelle to the boiling salted water, stir and return to a gentle rolling boil. Cook for 8 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile in a bowl large enough to hold the pasta, mix together 8 egg yolks, 6 tablespoons double cream, 50g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, 1 small teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.
- Drain the pasta. Remove the bacon from the heat and add the pasta to it, mixing quickly with the bacon and butter.
- Add the pasta mixture to the egg mixture and toss well. The heat from the bacon, butter and pasta will cook the egg yolks.
- You must serve the dish immediately or the eggs will curdle.