Banana cream pie
Makes: 1 pie (8 small pieces)
Prep time:Plus 30 minutes resting time for the dough
Skill level: Easy peasy
What's not to love about a dessert filled with cream, bananas and caramel sauce? This is a great recipe that the whole family will love and only takes 25 minutes to prepare.
IngredientsFor the pastry (enough for 1 pie):
- 150g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 275g plain flour
- 30g icing sugar
- 1 free-range egg, slightly beaten
- ½ tsp water
For the filling:
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 400ml double cream
- 200 ml thick Greek yogurt
- 4 bananas, sliced lengthwise
- 50g almonds
- 50g walnuts
- 1 free-range egg white, slightly beaten
- 50g sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
Make the pie just before serving otherwise the filling makes the base damp and the bananas will turn brown
- To make the pastry: rub the cubed butter into the flour and icing sugar. Add the egg and water and work them together just until the dough begins to stick together. Do not knead. Cover the dough with clingfilm and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Make a caramel sauce with the condensed milk: place the contents in a pan and boil until a caramel consistency is reached. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Roll out the pastry and put it in a pie tin. Prick the bottom with a fork. Press a strip of aluminium foil on and over the edge of the dough so it doesn’t sink down while being baked.
- Pre-bake the pie shell in the middle of the oven for about 5 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, until it is golden. Let the pie shell cool.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Whisk the seeds with the cream and fold it into the yogurt.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F/gas 6).
- Mix the nuts with lightly beaten egg white. Then shake the nuts with sugar and cinnamon and roast them on a tray lined with baking parchment in the oven for about 10 minutes, then let cool completely.
- Mix the cream and yogurt mixture with 2/3 of the caramel and spoon it over the pie bottom. Drizzle with the rest of the caramel.
- Slice the bananas lengthwise and place them over the filling. Sprinkle with coarsely chopped candied nuts.