- 2 x 200g packs Scottish mackerel split fillets (we used a pack of 6 fillets from M&S)
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 100g (3˝oz) Chantenay carrots, thinly sliced lengthways, or 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Use 3 fresh mackerel, filleted, if you can’t find the ready-prepared fish in packs from M&S.
- Dust the fish with seasoned flour. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan. Shake off any excess flour from the fish, then fry the fillets for a couple of mins (in 2 batches), until golden all over. Take them out with a draining spoon and put in a shallow dish.
- Wipe out the pan, then spoon the rest of the oil into it and, when hot, add the carrot, onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 mins, until they begin to colour.
- Stir in the wine vinegar, 4 tablespoons water, the chilli, herbs and seasoning. Simmer for 5 mins until the vegetables are cooked, then pour the mixture over the fish and leave to cool. Serve with crusty bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 438(kcal)
- Fat 35.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.