Griddled lobster with saffron mayo
- 1 live lobster, about 750g
- (1½lb), or for an alternative, see our tip
- 150g (5oz) salt, for cooking
- About 15g (½oz) softened butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of ¼ lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Dash of fish sauce
- About 1 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs (flat-leaf parsley, chervil, tarragon, chives)
- Small pinch of saffron strands
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼-½ level tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp good olive oil
- New potatoes, salad and mint
Instead of lobster, you can make this with 8 large prawns, 4 large langoustine and 8 large scallops.
- For a humane way of preparing the lobster, freeze it for a couple of hours before cooking it.
- To make the Saffron Mayo: Put the saffron in a small bowl with 1 tsp warm water and leave it for 10 mins to infuse. Then put the egg yolk in a tall jug with the lemon juice, mustard and seasoning and add the saffron and water. Whizz it briefly with a stick blender. Add the oil, a tbsp at a time, until it thickens to a mayonnaise.
- Bring a large pan of water (about 4.5 litres/8 pints) to the boil, add the salt and, when the water is boiling fiercely, add the lobster. Bring the water back to the boil and start timing to cook it for 5 mins. Take the lobster out of the water and leave for 10 mins or so, until you can handle it.
- To cut the lobster in half, put it on a chopping board, drive a large knife through the middle of the body and cut down towards and between the eyes. Now turn the knife around and place it in the original cut, and bring the knife down right through the tail to split it in half. Pull off the claws and cut off the rubber bands. Crack open each of the 3 claw sections with a short, sharp chop from the thickest part of your knife blade. Remove the stomach sac, behind the mouth, and the intestine, which runs down the tail.
- Set the grill to high. When really hot, place the lobster halves flesh-side up on the tray. Brush with the butter and sprinkle with the garlic, and grill for about 5-10 mins. Sprinkle with lemon zest, juice and a dash of fish sauce and, lastly, the herbs. Serve with potatoes, salad, mint and the Saffron Mayo.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 423(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.