Coffee banoffee pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
This coffee banoffee pie is quick easy and so delicious. A dollop of cream can transform everyday ingredients into something heavenly. Try this banoffee pie with a twist! This recipe serves 10 people and will take around 40 mins to make and bake. It's a real winner with the whole family the perfect dessert on a Sunday afternoon. If you love classic banoffee pie and you're a fan of coffee, you really must try this wonder. Great for dinner parties or sharing with friends and family for a special occasion. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or covered in clingfilm for up to 2 days. This recipe is best made and eaten on the same day for the best flavour and freshness.
IngredientsFor the coffee sponge:
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 medium egg
- 60g (2oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur (such as Kalhua or Tia Maria)
- 397g canned caramel (we used Nestlé)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 200g (7oz) mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or bean paste
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) milk chocolate, broken into squares
- 20cm (8in) metal flan ring on a lined baking tray
No time to make a sponge? Line a flan dish with half a packet (about 12) of sponge finger biscuits, instead.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the butter, sugar, dissolved coffee, egg and self-raising flour into a food processor. Whizz to blend. Spoon the mixture into the prepared flan ring. Bake for 15 mins until pale golden and springy. Cool in the ring.
- Place the cooled sponge, still in the metal ring, on a serving plate. Run a knife around the edge of the sponge to loosen it, but keep the ring in place.
- To make the filling: Spoon the coffee liqueur over the sponge, then spread the caramel over. Toss bananas in the lemon juice and arrange on caramel.
- To make the topping: Softly whip the cream, stir in the mascarpone, vanilla and sugar and spoon over the bananas.
- Melt the chocolate for 30 seconds in the microwave, on High. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cream. Chill for about 1 hour before lifting off the metal ring to serve.
If you like this recipe you'll love our classic banoffee pie recipe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 572(kcal)
- Fat 40.0g
- Saturates 25.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.