Smoked salmon carbonara with fried egg and asparagus
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Smoked salmon carbonara with fried egg and asparagus recipe is a real mid-week winner - ideal if you're in a hurry and just want to get dinner on the table. This tasty meal combines smoked salmon, eggs, asparagus and pasta to create a filling dish that's ready in only 15 minutes - serve with crusty garlic bread on the side. This recipe serves 2 people and is such a creamy, delicious choice for any day of the week. This recipe uses smoked salmon but you can use salmon fillet instead of a subtle flavour. Serve a portion of this pasta with a side salad if you're trying to be healthy. Dust with Parmesan or grated Cheddar cheese before serving.
- 3 eggs
- 100ml cream
- 2tbsp white wine
- 225g spaghetti
- 75g halved asparagus tips
- 75g smoked salmon
- 25g Parmesan cheese
For a vegetarian version, leave the bacon out. Check the instructions for cooking the spaghetti as some quick-cook varieties are done in just 3-5 minutes
- Whisk together 1 egg, 100ml cream and 2tbsp white wine with plenty of ground black pepper.
- Fill a frying pan with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Gently crack in 2 eggs and poach for 3 mins. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook 225g spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Add 75g halved asparagus tips for the last 3-4 minutes, then drain and return to the pan.
- Add the egg mixture to the pasta with 75g smoked salmon strips and 25g grated Parmesan. Mix well, then divide between 2 plates.
- Gently remove the eggs from the water and place on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan, season with more black pepper, then serve.