Prep time:(including 15 mins marinating time)
Cooking time:(may need 5 mins longer)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Chicken thighs are as cheap as chips. Here's how to make them sweet, hot and juicy whether you oven cook or barbecue them.
- 1kg or 8 small boneless chicken thighs, with skin on
- 100g honey
- 100g hot chilli sauce (try Mr. Singh's Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce)
- 100g balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Large mixing bowl
- Large oven-proof roasting pan
Tips for cooking our chilli chicken recipe on the barbecue: Light the coals in plenty of time. It's best to wait for the coals to turn grey before starting to cook, which takes about 30 minutes. Then cook the chicken over a medium heat for about 15 mins, turning them regularly, and brushing over any extra marinade.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6
- Add the hot chilli sauce to a large bowl.
- Add in the honey and balsamic vinegar and mix well.
- Add the chicken to the bowl, coating it well with the marinade. Allow to marinate for 15 mins.
- Give the base of the roasting pan a light coat of olive oil. Place the chicken on the roasting pan and cook in the oven for 15-20 mins or cook it on the barbecue until perfectly cooked.
- Serve hot with mixed salad leaves.