Levi Roots' chicken and sweet potato patties
Skill level: Easy peasy
Serve these chunky chicken, sweet potato and spinach patties with a cooling yogurt and cucumber dip. You could also try them in a bun as a Caribbean-style burger.
IngredientsFor the patties:
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ large bag sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jacket potato, peeled and diced
- 100g spinach, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 crusty rolls, made into breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 8tbsp jerk/BBQ sauce, like Reggae Reggae Sauce
- 5tbsp low-fat yogurt
- ½ cucumber, finely diced
- Sprig of mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp jerk/BBQ sauce, like Reggae Reggae Sauce
Use a handheld blender or a cheese grater to make breadcrumbs from the crusty rolls.
- To make this chicken breast recipe, boil the potatoes together in a large pan of water for 10-15 mins or until soft and tender, drain, then mash.
- In a food processor blend the chicken until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on a medium heat and fry off the onion then add the spinach to wilt. Take off the heat.
- Mix the potatoes, chicken, onions and spinach with all the other patties ingredients until mixed well. Make into 8 patties using your hands.
- Place the patties on the grill or barbecue and grill for 10 mins on each side until golden brown.
- Mix the yoghurt, jerk sauce, cucumber and mint and serve with the patties.