Makes: 200 ml
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 6 whole fresh red chillies
- 2 whole cloves of garlic
- 1 quartered and deseeded red pepper
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- ½ tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 1 spatchcocked chicken
- 8 chicken joints or 12 chicken wings
Variation: Leave out the red pepper, and add more garlic and chillies for a really hot sauce.
- Set oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Put chillies, unpeeled cloves of garlic and red pepper in a roasting tin. Roast for 30 mins.
- Put them all in a polybag and leave to cool for 10 mins. Squeeze the chillies out of their skins; remove seeds.
- Remove skin from the garlic and pepper. Roughly chop them all and put in a pan with salt flakes, dried oregano or fresh oregano, ground paprika, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Simmer for 2-3 mins. Cool, then blend with a stick blender to make a smooth sauce.
- Keep the Piri Piri in a jar in the fridge. Use within 1 month.
- Use to make Piri Piri Chicken: Spread half the sauce over a spatchcocked chicken, chicken joints or chicken wings. Marinate for 1 hr. Cook on a griddle, a barbecue or in the oven.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 49(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
- Saturates 0.7g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.