Easy rabbit pie
- 1 rabbit, meat taken off the bones (use the bones for stock), along with liver and kidneys — there should be 750g (1½lb) meat in total
- 125g shoulder of pork or thick bacon, diced
- 1 medium egg, hard-boiled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 puff pastry sheet (from a Jus-Rol 425g pack of 2 frozen sheets)
- A little milk
- 300ml home-made rabbit or chicken stock
- 1.5 litre pie dish
You can use chicken and home-made chicken stock, if you prefer
- Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Put rabbit, pork or bacon and sliced boiled egg into pie dish (fill it well). Season and add 1 tbsp water.
- Roll pastry to fit top of pie. Place a rim of thinner pastry around edge of dish, then put pie top on. Decorate pie with leaves of pastry and make a hole in crust. Brush with milk, put on a baking sheet and bake for 40 mins, then turn heat down to 180°C/355°F/Gas 4 and cook for another 25 mins.
- Take the pie out of the oven and pour the stock in through the hole in the crust. Leave the pie to cool, then put in the fridge overnight — the stock will set to jelly. Serve the pie cold with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 435(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.