- 500g (1lb) ripe red plums, washed stalks removed
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 300ml (½pint) milk
- Almond or vanilla essence
- A few blanched almonds or toasted flaked almonds, to decorate
Check out our seasonal food calendar to see when plums are in season
- Put the whole plums in a pan with 150ml water and 3 tbsp of the sugar. Simmer until tender, then leave to cool.
- Pour the stewed plums into a sieve over a bowl, and push the juice and pulp through to make about 550ml of purée. Discard the stones and skins.
- Mix the semolina to a paste with some of the milk in a large bowl, heat the rest of the milk and pour it into the paste. Mix well, then pour it all back into the pan, bring to the boil, stirring and cook gently for 10 mins. Take off the heat and stir in the rest of the sugar.
- Leave the semolina to go cold, stirring it occasionally. Flavour with almond or vanilla essence and then gradually stir in 300ml of the plum purée.
- Spoon into 4 glasses and leave to set firmer. To serve, spoon the rest of the plum purée on top and decorate with almonds.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 204(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.