Classic pumpkin pie
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
A classic pumpkin pie is one of the best ways to use up leftover pumpkin, especially when it's in season in Autumn. Delicious eaten warm or cold with lashings of cream, this classic pumpkin pie is a real treat. Perfect for Halloween or Bonfire Night, this mouth-watering pie is topped with a sweet cream mix and dusted with cinnamon for a warming taste. This recipe serves 10 people, perfect if you've got the family round for dinner. It should take around 2 hours and 25 minutes to prepare and bake this pumpkin pie - it's well worth the wait! This pumpkin pie is given a twist by adding raisins into the mix. The raisins add sweet bursts of flavour throughout the thick, rich pumpkin flavour. This recipe uses ready made shortcrust pastry but you can make your own.
Vegetable marrow may be used instead of pumpkin but it must be well drained. Butternut squash is also a good alternative.
- 450g prepared pumpkin or squash, peeled, deseeded, cut it into equal-sized pieces
- 1 medium egg
- 100-125ml milk
- 100g golden caster sugar
- ½ level tsp ground ginger
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 6tbsp sultanas or raisins
- 150g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ level tsp baking powder
- 60-75g fat (we used half and half butter and lard)
- 20cm pie plate, buttered
- 2-3tbsp maple syrup
- 300ml whipped cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- Steam the pumpkin for 20-30 mins until tender (or put it in a bowl in the microwave with 1 tbsp water, cover and cook on High for 15-20 mins, until tender). Let it drain well, then mash it finely or rub it through a sieve. Set aside for the filling.
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and baking powder. Rub in the fat and mix to a stiff paste with just over 2tbsp water.
- Set the oven to 200C, gas 6. Roll the pastry out big enough to line the pie plate, trim the excess and decorate round the edge, using a fork.
- Line the pastry with foil, fill with baking beans and blind bake for 10-12 mins.
- Beat egg in a large bowl, and add milk, sugar, spices and vanilla. Stir in pumpkin and raisins.
- Spoon the filling into pastry case. Bake for 20 mins, then turn the oven temperature down to 180C, gas 4 and bake for another 15-25 mins.
- Once cooled slightly, brush with maple syrup. Dust with icing sugar and cinnamon and serve with whipped cream.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.