Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious, moist coffee cake recipe is a classic that will never get old. Triple tested in the Womanís Weekly kitchen, this tasty cake is packed full of a rich, coffee flavour along with a coffee infused buttercream. Serving up to 12 people, this cake takes 45 mins to make which is pretty speedy for a big cake like this. The filling and topping are both made using coffee essence which you can buy in most supermarkets in the cake baking aisle. On a low oven temperature this cake cooks to slowly and perfectly inside out. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Add fancy arrangement of chocolate buttons if you like.
- 250g butter or margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs coffee essence (Camp coffee)
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 400g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbs coffee essence
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, for dusting
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
- Set the oven to 190įC/375įF/Gas 5. Put the butter, sugar, syrup and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and add the coffee essence. Whisk together for 1-2 mins until the mixture is smooth, light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins, until well-risen and firm to the touch. Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Beat the butter, icing sugar, coffee and 2 tbs water together until smooth, light and fluffy. Place one of the cakes on a flat serving plate and spread with half the buttercream. Place the second cake on top and spread with the rest of the buttercream, swirling the top. Dust with cocoa powder. Slice to serve. Store in an airtight container. It will keep a couple of days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 460(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.