These muffins are delicious straight from the oven – perk them up the next day by microwaving for 10 seconds to warm the caramel
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 150ml (¼pt) milk
- 5tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 397g can caramel
- 55g chopped pecan nuts (optional)
You will also need:
- 12 hole muffin tin and muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F or Gas Mark 5.
- Place the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, oil, mashed bananas and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, without beating.
- Drop spoonfuls of the caramel into the mixture, gently swirl through, but don’t mix it in – its nice to see little pockets of caramel bubbles in the finished muffins.
- Place muffin cases in the tin and spoon the mixture into the cases until quite full. Top with the chopped nuts, if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and eat fresh and warm.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.