Triple chocolate tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is a must-try for all the chocolate lovers out there - made with cocoa powder, dark chocolate and white chocolate this is the ultimate in decadent desserts.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 150g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 75g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 110g chopped white chocolate
- 3tbsp liquid glucose
- 200g chopped dark chocolate
- 300ml cream, for whipping
For the ganache:
- 30g chopped dark chocolate
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1tbsp cream
You can either make the pastry using the recipe or you can buy some ready-made shortcrust pastry from the refrigerated section of most supermarkets
- To make the pastry, process the flour, cocoa and unsalted butter in a food processor to form fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar using the pulse action, then add the egg yolks, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of water. Process to form a smooth dough. Flatten to a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) loose-based tart tin. Roll the pastry out thinly between two sheets of baking paper and use to line the prepared tin, pressing it into the flutes. Cover with a sheet of baking paper, fill with baking beads or rice and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beads and bake for about 5 minutes more, or until crisp and dry. Cool completely.
- To make the filling, put the white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water or the chocolate will get too hot and seize. Heat until melted and smooth. Spoon into the tart case and spread evenly over the base using the back of a spoon. Cool until set.
- Put the glucose and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring often, until melted. It will be very thick and tacky. Allow to cool. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold a heaped spoonful of cream into the chocolate mixture to loosen it. Add the rest of the cream and fold through; the mixture will become very smooth and glossy. Spoon into the tart case, leaving it in broad swirls across the surface. Refrigerate until set.
- To make the ganache, put the chocolate, butter and cream in a small bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth and glossy. Remove from the heat and cool. Spoon the ganache into a piping (icing) bag fitted with a 1–2 mm (1/16 inch) tip. Pipe a criss-cross pattern, like an uneven grid, over the tart. Refrigerate before serving to set.