Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These delicious muffins are made from dark chocolate and espresso coffee - they're the perfect afternoon pick-me-up treat.
- 80g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 185g butter, melted and cooled
- 30ml espresso coffee, cooled
- 185g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 150g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
You can also add mashed up banana or some tablespoons of peanut butter to the mixture if you want
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/420°F/Gas mark 7 Mix Together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, coffee and sugar to get a creamy paste, then add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. Add the melted chocolate. Beat the egg whites then fold into the mixture. Do not mix too much,
- Pour the mixture into 12 greased muffin moulds. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the muffins are well risen but still soft to the touch. These muffins must be really moist so don’t overcook them, and don’t forget that they will solidify somewhat when cooling.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.