Patricia's strawberry and wild berry tea loaf
Skill level: Bit of effort
Patricia's unusual crushed strawberry tea loaf is packed full of summer flavours and is drizzled with wild berry icing. This creation won her a runner-up prize in our Strawberry Tea baking contest.
IngredientsFor the strawberry and wild berry tea loaf:
- 300g crushed strawberries
- 60g butter
- 200g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/4tsp salt
- 100ml wild berry tea, cooled
For the topping:
- 100g icing sugar
- A few tbsps Wild berry tea, warmed
- 100g sliced strawberries
- Handful chopped mixed nuts
- 1kg (2lb) greased loaf tin
Find out who won our strawberry tea baking contest for Breast Cancer Care and see more of your brilliant entries.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F/gas 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar then add the eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and gradually add to the creamed mixture along with the cool wild berry tea.
- Fold in the mashed strawberries and pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 hr in a preheated oven. Once baked, leave to cool completely in the tin, on a wire rack before icing.
- Mix the icing sugar with the warm wild berry tea until the icing coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the icing over the loaf and decorate with strawberries and chopped nuts.