Sam's lemon sherbet cupcakes
Prep time:(including decorating time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Remember fizzy lemon sherbets as a kid? Our user Sam has captured these childhood faves in cupcake form with tangy sherbet icing and the crunchy sweets on top.
IngredientsFor the lemon cupcakes:
- 150g butter/spread
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 small/medium eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp lemon juice
For the lemon sherbert icing:
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 10g lemon sherbet powder, sifted
- 1-2tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon sherbet sweets crushed, sprinkles or pretty decoration, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan/325°F/gas 3 and line a cupcake tin with 10 cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the eggs and beat until mixed.
- Fold in sifted flour, lemon zest and juice, until just combined.
- Spoon the lemon cupcake mixture into the cupcake cases until 2/3 full and bake for approx 15 mins until just firm and springy to touch.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins before removing from the oven and turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing: Mix the icing sugar and lemon sherbet powder in a small bowl, then add enough lemon juice to make a thin icing for drizzling (approx 1 - 2tbsp). Spoon the lemon sherbert icing onto the cupcakes and allow to drizzle over the sides. Decorate as you wish using crushed lemon sherbet sweets, sprinkles or edible, bought decorations.