Baked eggs with ham and chorizo
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ tsp paprika (smoked paprika, if possible)
- 200-250g (7-8oz) chorizo, skinned and sliced into chunks
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 2 roasted peppers, drained from jar, thinly sliced
- 60g (2oz) frozen peas
- 70g pack Serrano ham
- 4 medium eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25cm (10in) ovenproof dish, greased
Serrano ham is similar to Italian Parma ham, but has a deeper flavour and firmer texture and is less fatty.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Heat the oil in large frying pan and add the onion. Cook gently for a few minutes to soften, add the garlic and cook for a couple more mins.
- Add the paprika and chorizo and fry for 5 mins. Stir in the tomatoes and sherry and simmer for 5 mins.
- Mix in the peppers and peas. Pour into the dish. Crumple the Serrano ham into the dish. Make 4 hollows in the mixture and break in the eggs. Swirl some of the egg white into the tomatoes, but leave the yolks intact. Season and bake for 10 mins until the eggs have just set.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 300(kcal)
- Fat 30.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.