Orange chocolate mousse cake
Cooking time:(chilling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Fancy a cake with a twist? Ditch the sponge and opt for a chocolate mousse cake instead. This chocolate orange version is the perfect cake for those times when you want something a little different to your average Victoria Sponge. Made from a simple chocolate orange mousse (Jaffa cake fans take note!) it requires no baking at all. You can achieve a rich, smooth and utterly delicious mousse cake without setting foot near the oven. Impress your friends and family with this orange chocolate mousse cake today.
IngredientsFor the base:
- 60g (2oz) dark chocolate
- 30g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 150g (5oz) shortcake biscuits
- 100g bar dark chocolate
- 100g bar orange-flavoured chocolate (we used Lindt Excellence Orange Intense Dark Noir)
- 100g bar Belgian milk chocolate
- 5 tbs double cream
- 4 med eggs, separated
- 2 tbs golden caster sugar
- 5 tbs double cream
- 20cm (8in) loose-based cake tin
We also like using Maya gold chocolate in this recipe for its spicy flavour
- To make the base: Put the chocolate, butter and syrup in a small pan and let it melt gently. Whizz the biscuits in a food processor to make crumbs. Add the chocolate mixture, mix well, then spoon it into the tin and press down firmly. Chill while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Grate some of the dark chocolate (about 2 tbs) and set aside for the decoration. Put the rest of the bar, along with the other 2 bars of chocolate and the cream, into a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, but donít stir. Take off the heat, stir and leave for 5 mins, then beat in the egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites to a stable foam, then whisk in the sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. Spoon it on the base and chill for 3-4 hrs or overnight until set.
- When ready to serve, take out of the tin and finish with the topping.
- To make the topping: Whip the cream, and put 14-16 small spoonfuls, evenly spaced, around the edge. Decorate with a sprinkling of the reserved grated dark chocolate. Slice to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 255(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.