Veronica's beetroot and chocolate muffins
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Beetroot works surprisingly well in goodtoknow user Veronica's beetroot and chocolate muffins making them moist, rich and delicious.
IngredientsFor the chocolate beetroot muffins:
- 175g cooked beetroot, chopped into chunks
- 3 large free range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g instant drinking chocolate powder, or cocoa powder
- 1x 200g dark chocolate bar, grated
- 40g soft butter
- 65g soft cream cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2tsp instant coffee
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 muffin cases
See our vegetable cake recipes for more surprisingly good vegetable and cake combinations.
- Pre-heat oven to 190˚C/375˚F/gas 5.
- For the beetroot and chocolate muffins: Place the beetroot chunks in a food processor and whiz to a pulp.
- Transfer the beetroot pulp into a large, clean bowl, add the eggs, flour, sugar and instant drinking chocolate powder, mix well and then beat in the oil slowly until well combined. Next fold in the grated chocolate.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into 12 muffin cases and bake for 20-25 mins. Cool in the oven for 5 mins then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool further.
- For the coffee cream cheese icing: In a large, clean bowl beat together the butter, cream cheese caster sugar and instant coffee, when the muffins are cool spread the icing on top. For a thicker icing add more icing sugar.