Mary Berry's stuffed chicken breasts
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
This easy stuffed chicken breast recipe is a Mary Berry classic. Tender and tasty chicken breasts, which Mary stuffs with sautéed onions, garlic, tarragon and cream cheese and pops in the oven for less than 30 mins. This recipe serves 6 people so is perfect for sharing with the whole family or if you've got guess round and want to impress. Each cut of chicken is stuffed with a homemade filling of onion, garlic and cream cheese and infused with plenty of herbs and spices. These stuffed chicken breasts are best served with new potatoes and plenty of freshly cooked greens like spinach and tenderstem broccoli. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you're eating leftovers, don't forget to reheat until piping hot when serving again.
IngredientsFor the stuffed chicken:
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, with the skin on
- Butter, melted for brushing
For the stuffing:
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g (8oz) full-fat soft cheese
- 1tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper, to season
Full-fat soft cheese is used here because it holds its shape well during cooking. Do not substitute a low-fat cheese because this will melt too quickly and make the chicken watery and soggy.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- For the stuffing: Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the onion and garlic, and cook gently over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for a few mins until soft but not coloured. Turn the onion mixture into a bowl, and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the soft cheese to the onion mixture with the tarragon, egg yolk, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- For the stuffed chicken breasts: Lift up the skin along one side of each breast, spread the cheese mixture over the chicken and then gently press the skin back on top. Put the chicken breasts into an ovenproof dish and brush with the melted butter.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Cut each breast into diagonal slices, and serve hot with buttered carrot and courgette slices, cut with a potato peeler, and new potatoes.