Lower-calorie red velvet cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
These lower calorie red velvet cupcake are the perfect way to treat yourself if you’re on a diet or simply trying to watch to watch your weight. Red velvet cupcakes are a really delicious treat but if you’re trying to shed a few pounds, you may not want to ruin your diet by having them. These easy-to-make, lower-calorie red velvet cupcakes work out at only 218 calories per cupcake, so they’re a very acceptable treat to have as an afternoon snack or even as a pudding after dinner. They're perfect as a guilt-free sweet treat. This recipe makes 6 cupcakes, but you can easily double up the ingredient quantities if you want to make more. This lower calorie red velvet cupcake recipe will take only 40 mins to prepare, bake and decorate. The low-fat spread and low-calorie sweetener granules in this recipe certainly help to cut a few corners. The rich, deep red colour in these cupcakes are achieved by dark chocolate cocoa powder and red food colouring. We'd recommend using red food colouring gel for the richest colour. Store these cupcakes in an airtight container or cake tin on the kitchen side for up to 2 days.
IngredientsFor the red velvet cupcakes:
- 60g low-fat spread
- 15g low-calorie sweetener granules (we used Canderel Yellow Granules)
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 2tsp red food colouring
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 50g/2oz low-fat spread
- About 2tbsp low-calorie sweetener granules (we used Canderel Yellow Granules)
- 125g/4oz low-fat cream cheese, chilled
You'll also need:
- 6 large cupcake cases
- Deep 6-hole muffin tin
If making these cupcakes by hand, use a large metal spoon to beat well in between adding the ingredients in order. After adding the flour use a folding technique to combine the ingredients.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and sit the paper cases into a deep 6-hole muffin tin.
- Add the low-fat spread to the bowl of a food mixer then add the eggs and low-calorie sweetener and beat for a few mins until the mixture becomes light and creamy.
- In another bowl mix together the cocoa powder and red food colouring then add to the creamed mixture and beat again until well combined.
- Now turn the mixer speed to low and add the buttermilk, flour and baking powder and beat until it is all combined - it should be a fabulous red colour.
- Pour in the white wine vinegar and salt and beat on slow for a couple more mins. The mixture will be fairly runny.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the cases, making sure no mixture spills. Put in the oven and bake in the oven for about 20 mins or until the cakes are springy when touched. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 mins. Then carefully remove the cupcakes from the tin (which will still be hot) and sit them on a wire rack to cool completely before topping.
- For the topping: While the cupcakes are cooling, beat the low-fat spread and low-calorie sweetener together until well combined then beat in the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. Spread or pipe over the cupcakes and top with a cherry.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 255(kcal)
- Fat 12.5g
- Saturates 4.5g
- Sugars 1.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.