Lemon cheesecake slices
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This lemon cheesecake slices recipe is an easy traybake recipe originally featured in Woman's Weekly in 1983. It makes a lovely afternoon treat, and is also perfect to pop in a lunchbox. This recipe makes 12 slices which is perfect for when you're entertaining or as weekday snacks at work or for kids. It's slightly different to a classic cheesecake recipe as it uses shortcrust pastry which gives it added crunch, plus it's got marzipan in the base which is a nice little twist that you might not have thought to try before.
- 125g (4oz) shortcrust pastry
- 250g (8oz) readymade golden or white marzipan
- 90g (3oz) cream cheese
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- Grated rind and juice of 1 small lemon
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 level tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 19cm (7½in) square shallow tin
The slices can be open-frozen, then packed in a rigid container to be used within 2 months.
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Roll out the pastry thinly to a square and use to line the tin base and up the sides. Divide the marzipan in half and roll out each piece to an 18cm (7in) square.
- Put one piece of marzipan on the pastry in the tin. Soften the cream cheese in a bowl, beat in the egg yolks, lemon rind and juice, sugar, flour and milk.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, then carefully fold them into cheese mixture. Spoon half mixture over marzipan base, put other piece of marzipan on top, then spoon rest of cake mixture on top. Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool, then dust with icing sugar before cutting into slices to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.