Berry blast porridge
Cooking time:(may need an extra 6 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Give your usual bowl of porridge a health boost and top it with our sweet redcurrant compote and fresh berries.
IngredientsFor the porridge:
- 100g of porridge oats
- 500ml milk or water
- Handful of strawberries, quartered
- Handful of raspberries, whole
- 100g redcurrants
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 orange juice and zest
For a different berry topping try, blackcurrant compote with fresh blueberries and raspberries.
- For the redcurrant compote: destalk the redcurrants, place in a small saucepan with the sugar, orange zest and juice and simmer on a low heat for 5 - 10 mins, or until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool slightly.
- For the porridge: combine the oats and water (or milk if you prefer it creamier) into a medium pan.
- Bring to the boil slowly, turn down the heat and simmer gently for 3 - 4 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the porridge into 2 bowls, spoon the redcurrant compote on top and add the strawberries and raspberries to finish.